Friday, February 18, 2011

What's wrong with people?

I haven't felt like writing this week.  I'm not really sure why, but there just didn't seem to be anything pressing to write about. 

Today I went to work, like usual for a Thursday afternoon.  No matter what kind of mood I am in heading in the door my first couple students always make me smile and laugh.  I just can't stay in a bad mood at work, most days.  I have a student who comes from a family of smokers.  She doesn't smoke, and hates it, but has lived with it her entire life.  Within the last few months she has developed a chronic cough.  Every week she comes in it seems worse.  Today she couldn't play a full phrase without having to stop and cough.  (For my non musical friends, a phrase could be about 10 or so notes in a row...or in other words, not very many notes together) To play a full page of music she has to stop at least 5 or 6 times.  I have asked her to go to the doctor and she laughs and says that there is no way her parents would take her to the doc.  I have been after her for awhile to get it checked out.  Well, today I had my chance.  I caught her dad as they were leaving and told him that I thought she should see the doctor.  He laughed at me and told me she was fine.  I insisted that I really felt she needed to see her doctor.  He once again laughed at me and started to pretend to dig a hole.  I looked at him, and said "whatever" and walked away.  I can not believe a parent can't see that their child needs medical help.  I am positive this kid has asthma but no one will help her. 

At what point is it child abuse?  If she was under 18 I would seriously consider calling child services on those parents.  Harsh?  Maybe.  But being a parent has responsibilities and I feel they are neglecting those responsibilities.  That is very frustrating as a teacher!

At least I know I will never do that to my kids!! 

1 comment:

NikkiB said...

That's horrible! I've often felt the same way though, when I have patients that come in reaking like a bar!!!! I hope she gets checked out, or gets out of her parents' house, it helped me!!!