Wednesday, October 5, 2011

friends

In the past three days I have come to find out just how many friends I have in my life thanks to Facebook.  Its incredible really.  I grew up thinking that I was unliked, but I think most kids go through that at some point in their lives.  I just went about life and did the best I could.  I always tried to laugh at myself and not take myself too seriously to cover up my insecurities.   It was a survival skill I learned at a very young age and I feel it has served me well. 

On Monday, Jerry and I celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary.  I mentioned it in my status and was completely overwhelmed by the response I received from everyone.  Plus, the friends that had been at our wedding reception still remember it to this day and reminded us of the fun as well.  That was amazing!

Yesterday I wrote a blog about a nasty comment that was made about my weight to my children.  The response to that was amazing as well.  I always knew that my true friends would never care about something as simple as weight gain, and have reminded myself of this on a daily basis.  But to see the caring responses from them, in black and white, was overwhelming.  The love I felt from friends, family and students was completely overwhelming as well.  I even had someone comment to me that I sure had a lot of friends who cared about me.  I looked at her, my student, and said "I sure do!" and I smiled to myself because I felt the love even then. 

Some people think Facebook is a complete waste of time, and it probably is.  I know I spend way too much time on it, but I also know that I have reconnected with so many wonderful people.  Some of those friendships go as far back as fourth grade, with someone who moved away and I never thought would see again.  Some are with people from college that I lost touch with after graduation, because I am old enough to remember a time before cell phones and email!  To me, Facebook has been a lifeline and a savior.  It never lets me be sad for long.  It never lets me get depressed.  It always puts a smile on my face, no matter how angry I am.  There is always someone online waiting to answer my plea for a prayer or a smile.  It has gotten me through my dark days of being bedridden with back issues.  Facebook is Life.  That's how I feel anyway. 

They say that if you have one true friend you are rich.  Well, I must be a trillionaire then because I have some of the worlds best friends in my life!  They are there in my time of need, at any hour of the day.  It is really an incredible thing and I never could have dreamt this as a child. 

If you are reading this blog, then most likely you are one of those people I am talking about.  I personally thank you for being a part of my life and for allowing me into YOUR life.  It is an honor and a blessing from God to be as loved as I am, and I am so thankful!  My cup is overflowing with love! 

May God bless you, as He has me!  :)

2 comments:

Dorothy-Life With Boys said...

Awwww, Colleen!!!!!! I love fb, too-for the exact same reasons as you. I spend waaaay too much time on it--but honestly it makes me smile. There are days when it feels like I'm strolling through Dalton just like "old times". We all go through phases where we think nobody likes us-especially pre-college. You're a sweetie and try to remember that mean people suck!!!!! You know who your friends are!!! MWAH!!!!

Colleen said...

Thanks Dorothy! That means so much to me! You are one of those gems in my life that I met through FB, for the most part. :)