Thursday, October 13, 2011

Emily and Nutrition

Emily is starting her USS swimming season  with her first meet in a week.  She is really hoping to qualify for Junior Olympics this year, or J.O. as swimmers know it as.  She has been working hard but realizes she just isn't cutting it.  Last night they did somoe sprints and she couldn't keep up with the girls she used to be able to beat.  I could tell she was really working hard and was disappointed for her.  I just don't know that she will be able to pull it off, the qualification that is. 

On the ride home she and I talked very openly about what she needed to do and how what she eats really makes a difference.  She doesn't eat badly, but she eats a ton of carbs and really loves her sweets (who doesn't).  Anyone who has seen a picture of her knows she probably has zero body fat on her but at this point in her training I fear that what she puts in her mouth is really whats fueling her body in the pool.  She asked me to go on the USS swimming website to see what they say about nutrition and swimming, so I did.  Last night she brought me a package of sour patch kids, the Halloween size bags.  She said "mom, two bags of these are a serving.  Did you know that".  I chuckled  because I didn't know that.  I was so proud of her for looking and taking this seriously.  Then, she did something that I was very proud of as well....she packed one bag in her lunch for today and is saving the other bag for "later".  She knows that she should only eat one serving per day so she is spreading it out. 

I can honestly say, if she doesn't qualify for J.O. next weekend it won't be because she isn't taking things seriously.  It'll be because she didn't take it seriously enough, early in the season.  Then again, it is a very long season so we will have to wait and see how this plays out. 

At any rate, the fact that she is learning at nine years old what I didn't learn until 30 is quite an accomplishment I think.  Hopefully it will stick with her throughout her life and she won't have to struggle with her weight the way I do. 

1 comment:

NikkiB said...

Oh how I wish I could have learned the lessons about nutrition and exercise at a tender age like Emily is!!!! Good for her, and for both of you!!!!